ABOUT     CONTACT     STORE     FORUM     ADVERTISE     FEEDS

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Abstinence, Schmabstinence

First of all, watch this commercial put out by 4parents.gov, a government website run by the Department of Health and Human Services:



Let's put aside the obvious political implications here. Yes, this is just another bone thrown to the religious conservatives by the Bush administration. And let's even put aside the scientific implications. No, abstinence education does not work, and yes, it does cause harm by not educating children about potentially lifesaving safe sex measures. Let's instead focus on just the social implications. Why would any loving parent want their children to wait until marriage before having sex? I don't know about you, but my first time was sweaty and nervous and about as erotic as two manatees in a fist fight. Which isn't to say my first in any way resembled a manatee. Of course, why should I care about hurting her feelings? Cheater. Anyway, my point is that I'd hope my child's honeymoon wouldn't be marred by jitters and flailing inexperience. I'd want the best for my children, and when it comes to sex, the first time is never the best.

Blog Archive