ABOUT     CONTACT     STORE     FORUM     ADVERTISE     FEEDS

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nature's Terrifying Truths: Froggy Wolverine

Maybe frogs haven't always been cute and cuddly. After all, some of them are poisonous, others can addle your brain, and there's always the Battletoads. But I never expected a monster like this. It's a frog with bizarre, hair-like skin growths that breaks its own bones to create retractable claws in its feet. Also, apparently, it's delicious when roasted, but that's beside the point. It's bad enough having the slimy little suckers jump on my face whenever I open my patio door. Do I really have to defend myself from their blades now? Turns out there are a few species of frogs that form similar claws, but the mechanism is unique to amphibians. So why haven't we been warned about this sooner? More details here.

Blog Archive