ABOUT     CONTACT     STORE     FORUM     ADVERTISE     FEEDS

Saturday, December 27, 2008

DIY God Playing

It's amazing what kind of obscure disciplines one can learn simply from reading online forums. I always wanted to learn the advanced takedown techniques of judo, so I just registered for a free membership at JudoYouKnow.org, and last week I dropped Vladimir Putin like a dirty habit. (True story. Sort of.) Now, the free flow of information has birthed a healthy amateur geneticist underground. In their living rooms, using equipment built at home for far less than it can be ordered from a lab, would-be biologists are splicing DNA to create designer bacteria, better yogurt, and anything else they can think of to help humanity and/or look really cool. Critics say the lack of safety measures in a homemade laboratory could result in the creation of a deadly virus or some such, but I think those people are just paranoid. The duct tape that's been covering my windows since 2001 keeps superbugs in just as well as it keeps terrorism out, thank you very much. Plus, I spliced gecko DNA with my cocker spaniel's to create a puppy that I can never find. Although I think he's been walking on the ceiling... Anyway, more details here.

Blog Archive