Speaking of free speech, I hate when my convictions get in the way of my general distaste for Holocaust-denying Catholic bishops. But today's one of those days. Earlier this year, Bishop Richard Williamson gave a Swedish television interview wherein he blathered on about how he didn't believe the Nazis used any gas chambers and how not all that many Jews were really killed in concentration camps. In other words, he's an idiot. But since the interview was put on the internet, it was seen in Germany. Now German courts are deciding whether Williamson should be prosecuted under their anti-Holocaust denial laws. If guilty, he'd have to pay a €12,000 fine, which at today's exchange rate, is something like $47 gazillion dollars. I think. Anyway, part of standing up for free speech is standing up for the right to say idiotic, antisemitic, and otherwise bullshitty things. Williamson believes what he does because he's an ill-informed cock, but he shouldn't be subject to fines just for saying what he believes. I wonder if anyone would support a Blasphemy Day-esque Deny the Holocaust Day to promote German free speech. Any takers? Hello? More details here.
- ► 2010 (189)
- U.S. Strongly Opposed to Blasphemy Laws Maybe Some...
- "We're Going to Need a Bigger--GGHAAAAHHH GOD!!!"
- No Halloween
- Foreskin Freedom
- Scientology Woes
- Baby Writing
- Your Sunday Sermon - Polyester
- I Have to Defend This Douche?
- Blasphemy Schmasphemy
- The Come Hither Gene
- Your Sunday Sermon - The Sun Goes Round the Earth
- Mixed Up
- The Curse of Halloween
- I (Symbol for "Don't Understand") Vandals
- Idiocy is a Choice
- Boson to the Future
- Ray Pulls an O.J.
- Break on Through
- The Loch Ness Golfer
- RC Insects of DOOM!
- Calorie Crap
- Your Sunday Sermon - Working Together
- They Killed Their Child
- Kiss and Jail
- FDA Not Sure If They're Idiots
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Being Correct
- Movie Day
- Abstinence-Plus Benefits
- Your Sunday Sermon - Lot, The Most Noble Man On Ea...
- ▼ October (33)
- ► 2008 (518)