ABOUT     CONTACT     STORE     FORUM     ADVERTISE     FEEDS

Friday, January 9, 2009

Nanofrictionless

One of the disadvantages of nanotechnology is that the smaller the objects you're working with, the more you have to consider the crazy properties of quantum physics. For instance, metal objects on a molecular scale can fall prey to the Casimir force, which causes them to stick together. But scientists at Harvard University and the National Institutes of Health have successfully demonstrated the opposite quantum effect. They dipped a gold-coated sphere in liquid and measured the force of its attraction to a metallic plate. But they were also able to measure the force as it repelled a plate made from silica. This confirms previous research that suggested some materials repel each other on a quantum scale. By taking advantage of this force, nanomachines could be made to have frictionless moving parts, which would have applications in medicine, computing, and my eventually conquest of the Earth and moon. Wait, did I say I was going to conquer the Earth and moon? I must have been mistaken. I have no plans at this moment to infiltrate the U.S. government's secret frictionless nanoweapons factory and steal its merchandise. And implication to the contrary is simply silly. More details here. But not about my plan. Assuming I have one.

Blog Archive